Thursday, June 09, 2005

FlashMob

For my chapter on the grotesque male I looked up some information on the first fleet and how many men and women actually arrived in those first years of settlement. My argument was, well, is that Australian identity has been constructed around images of men and that this is a result of its colonising past. I was shocked to find out that the first women to arrive were collectively raped and then basically auctioned for marriage or sent to factories depending on their level of attractiveness and submissiveness (The ones nobody wanted were sent to the factories. They called them FlashMob - cool name for a band...). Shit man, this thesis is becoming more and more of a challenge. Not only is my sanity conditioned by grotesque subject matter and forms of representation, now I also have to deal with such depressing facts about the treatment of women in the past. not that I wasn't aware of that but it still makes me quite furious and hysterical (Freud would say I'm mad. I think he called this condition being a woman...)

Anywayyyyyyyyyy, I've actually been in a much better mood about everything. I even woke up laughing this morning. Maybe I am mad after all...
Don't you worry! I'm sure as soon as this... thing is out of the way I can actually start breathing (AND sleeping) again. YEY! So long

Note the FlashMob below! Scary, huh! Grotesque, for sure!


Posted by Ingale

1 comment:

inga von k said...

seriously weird